April 1, 2019 (2 - 3 Month Search)
Design Team Leader / Project Manager
Aqueous Consultants, LLC of Andover, MA is a progressive water resources engineering firm dedicated to the preservation and conservation of water supplies for institutional, commercial, residential, and open space projects worldwide. While the majority of our work centers around irrigation and development of alternative water supplies, the quality of our construction documents and project management has earned the trust of our clients to take on ever-growing engineering responsibilities such as water features, fountains, drainage systems, permitting, and structural design, leading to substantial company growth over our five-year history. We work with the most talented and creative architects in the world and use our love for engineering science to make their aesthetic dreams and goals for a sustainable future a reality. Aqueous is a family-based business run by Michael and Andrea Igo, both Professional Engineers, and supported by Staff Designer Tamora Lawrence.
Michael Igo, PE, LEED AP, has 19 years of professional experience in civil and water resources engineering. Born and raised North of Boston, Mike has a unique educational background with a Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering from Boston University and a Master’s Degree from Tufts University with concentration in Geo-environmental Engineering and thesis on computer modeling seepage in slopes. He met co-founder, Andrea Igo, while at Tufts University and they married shortly after earning their Master’s Degrees. In 2014, Mike fulfilled his lifelong dream of starting an engineering firm by founding Aqueous Consultants, LLC. In 2016, Andrea joined Mike as a full-time staff member to continue to grow the company. Their combined unique mechanical, civil, and environmental engineering backgrounds have forged Aqueous into a diverse, flexible, and reliable company to take on many different tasks that landscape architects, architects, other engineers, municipalities, and design-build contractors entrust to Aqueous. Over a short period of time, Mike has been recognized for his work by speaking at national and regional conferences such as the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA), the Society of College and University Planners (SCUP), the Boston Society of Architects (BSA) Placemaking Network, and the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) on Irrigation, Water Harvesting, Fountains, Sustainability, and Urban Tree Planting.
In addition to his love for engineering science, Mike is a self-proclaimed amateur graphic artist and places a high value on the presentation of construction documents that Aqueous issues, being a reflection on him as a person. He has had a lifelong love of maps and appreciation for the look of hand-drawn plans and details. It is the quality of the drawings and details produced by Aqueous that sets the firm apart from most. In addition to visual quality, Mike is dedicated to teaching his profession and academic research to employees, clients, and practitioners through in-office classes, white papers, and webinars.
Given the rapid historical and projected growth of the firm, Aqueous is seeking a Design Team Leader / Project Manager to learn the specialized water engineering and design science Aqueous provides to its clients, oversee construction document production, interact with clients over the phone, through email, and in person compassionately, deferentially, and professionally. In essence, the position is to become Mike’s protege in order for the company to grow more and to allow Mike to spend more time out of the office on construction site visits and marketing campaigns.
Opportunities out of the office to create your own brand, develop your own client base, and increase your knowledge base are encouraged and will be provided where possible. Ideally, the candidate will be extremely proficient in AutoCAD, have their own experience in site development, be willing and open-minded to learn about irrigation, water features, and rainwater harvesting, and be creative to bring new ideas, revenue streams, and assist in helping form construction document standards for Aqueous.
The short-term duties are to learn water engineering science, provide design and drafting support, and bring an upbeat, professional attitude to the office.
The long-term duties are to run the office, become a team leader, become an industry leader, and provide direction in business development.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering (Preferably Civil Engineering, but other disciplines will be considered)
- 6 – 12 Years or more of Professional Design Firm Experience with Deadlines and Project Management Hierarchy
- Expert in AutoCAD, Ability to Learn AutoCAD add-on Programs Quickly
- The Ability to Work from our Office in Andover, MA Full-Time (One cannot become Team Leader working from Home)
- Creativity and/or the Willingness to Have an Open Mind
- Professional, Upbeat Attitude for Clients, Co-Workers, and Superiors
- Sound Work Ethic to make project deadlines beyond the 40-hour work week (This is a salaried, exempt position)
FAVORABLE QUALIFICATIONS (but Not Required)
- Professional Licensure or the Ability/Desire to Attain Licensure
- Land F/X, Civil3D and/or Revit Knowledge
- Permitting Experience
- Construction Administration and Oversight Experience
- Team Building and Leadership Experience
- Health / Dental Plan Contribution
- Commissions on Fees for New Clients
- Professional Licensure and Society Dues Reimbursement
- The Opportunity to Develop and Grow an Engineering Firm
- If you live North of Boston, the opportunity to save hours per day commuting
- If you live in Boston, the opportunity to take the commuter rail to the office (Andover stop on Haverhill Line)
Send cover letters and resumes by email to email@example.com
Only serious inquiries, please. No headhunters or personnel placement services, please.